Step Eleven - Maranatha

GospelJohn 14:7-14 

Jesus said to his disciples:
‘If you know me, you know my Father too.
From this moment you know him and have seen him.’
Philip said, ‘Lord, let us see the Father and then we shall be satisfied.’
  ‘Have I been with you all this time, Philip,’ said Jesus to him, ‘and you still do not know me?
‘To have seen me is to have seen the Father,
so how can you say, “Let us see the Father”?
Do you not believe
that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
The words I say to you I do not speak as from myself:
it is the Father, living in me, who is doing this work.
You must believe me when I say
that I am in the Father and the Father is in me;
believe it on the evidence of this work, if for no other reason.
I tell you most solemnly,
whoever believes in me
will perform the same works as I do myself,
he will perform even greater works,
because I am going to the Father.
Whatever you ask for in my name I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask for anything in my name,
I will do it.’


Step Eleven - Sought through pray and mediation, to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understand him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.




The Eleventh Step is often referred to in spiritual groups as the step of contemplation. This is the moment in our lives when we have accepted the need to take the time to sit and make space for God. We have accepted that not only are we not alone but we don't want to be. We are seeking relationship with God as a child seeks to sit on its parent's knee.

In contemplative prayer we wait on the Father as the handmaids and the friends of the bridegroom waited; expectantly so that we will be satisfied.

We do this by calling on Jesus as Emmanuel - God is with us - or Maranatha -Come, O Lord. A calling that comes from the heart; drawing God into us whilst understanding that God is already within.  That, no matter what we have done with our actions; our thoughts; our words we are still holy temples; the Spirit breathes through our breath and when we find our stillness - God will meet us there. 
 



 My Lord, as I understand You,
I pray to stay close with You
Clear from the confusion of daily life.
Through my prayers and meditation I ask especially for
Freedom from self-will, excuses and wishful thinking.
I pray for the guidance of true thought and positive action.
Your will Higher Power, not mine.



wordinthehand2012

Comments

no matter what we have done with our actions; our thoughts; our words we are still holy temples; the Spirit breathes through our breath and when we find our stillness - God will meet us there.

Hm. Thank you, Word.
Mairie said…
A pleasure Claire :) especially when I know I am always writing to myself ((+))
My life has been so hectic for awhile now. Pushing in on this special contemplative time with our Lord. But when we are there, there is no better feeling than to be able to rise up and step forward knowing we are doing God's will. -Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead
jinjan59 said…
sometimes these steps have been challenging - uncomfortable (in a good way!) - and thought-provoking, and sometimes, like today, they are powerfully inspiring and moving in a deep and quiet way with a strong sense of Home - wonderful
Mairie said…
Thanks to you -Jinjan and Barbara -
it is a challenge to be true to the integrity of the Steps as they support so many people. The aim should always be to bring us Home.
Blessings m+x
log said…
Very inspiring Mairie. God bless.+x

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The servant’s name was Malchus.

The Fourth Shepherd