Step Six - the last place you look


GospelJohn 10:1-10 


Jesus said: ‘I tell you most solemnly, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold through the gate, but gets in some other way is a thief and a brigand. The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the flock; the gatekeeper lets him in, the sheep hear his voice, one by one he calls his own sheep and leads them out. When he has brought out his flock, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow because they know his voice. They never follow a stranger but run away from him: they do not recognise the voice of strangers.’
  Jesus told them this parable but they failed to understand what he meant by telling it to them.
  So Jesus spoke to them again:
‘I tell you most solemnly,
I am the gate of the sheepfold.
All others who have come
are thieves and brigands;
but the sheep took no notice of them.
I am the gate.
Anyone who enters through me will be safe:
he will go freely in and out
and be sure of finding pasture.
The thief comes
only to steal and kill and destroy.
I have come
so that they may have life and have it to the full.’

Step Six - Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.




How often God is in the last place we look. 


In the desire to fix ourselves how often we do listen to the voices of thieves and brigands - voices that often come from within ourselves. Stealing away our integrity; robbing us of our dignity. 


But now we know our help; our shepherd is near; we keep watch. Huddled in the safe  refuge of prayer and contemplation we strain for the sound of our name being called by the One who loves us. Waiting for the touch of his hand to ease our hurts; to tease out the thorns and splinters of our wounds. To bring us to green pasture and the water of everlasting life. 






Step Six Prayer
Dear God,I am ready for Your help 
        In removing from me the defects of character
        Which I now realize are an obstacle to my recovery.
        Help me to continue being honest with myself
       Guide me toward spiritual and mental health.



wordinthehand2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The Fourth Shepherd

The servant’s name was Malchus.