Step Four - Mirror, mirror

Gospel of John 6:60-69

After hearing his doctrine many of the followers of Jesus said, ‘This is intolerable language. How could anyone accept it?’ Jesus was aware that his followers were complaining about it and said, ‘Does this upset you? What if you should see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before?
‘It is the spirit that gives life,
the flesh has nothing to offer.
The words I have spoken to you are spirit
and they are life.
‘But there are some of you who do not believe.’ For Jesus knew from the outset those who did not believe, and who it was that would betray him. He went on, ‘This is why I told you that no one could come to me unless the Father allows him.’ After this, many of his disciples left him and stopped going with him.
  Then Jesus said to the Twelve, ‘What about you, do you want to go away too?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘Lord, who shall we go to? You have the message of eternal life, and we believe; we know that you are the Holy One of God.’


Step Four- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

How much the truth can hurt; often we console ourselves with the belief that there is nothing we can do; that that is the way we are; that it is others that are wrong. A million excuses can come to mind to remove the need to look in the mirror in the cold light of honesty. 

At some time before Jesus,  Simon Peter, a man of business; a family man; a man of authority. must have imagined that he had all the answers; that he was a man to be reckoned with. 

And then Jesus looks him  in the eye; mirrors all his  faults back to him; and then, even after the betrayal,  tells him  that there is no-one he loves more - no-one he trusts more.   


Knowing this - have the confidence to look in the mirror yourself. To see without fear all that has gone before; to name it and to see the precious as well as the shameful. 

To give yourself up to the Love that knows you and loves anyway.


Dear God,
This is my life and all that is in it
My mistakes are mine 
I will begin a searching and fearless inventory of my heart.
I will write down my wrongs
But I will also include that which is good.
I pray for the strength to complete the task
.



wordinthehand2012

Comments

This is the thing to me that makes our Savior, our Jesus, the most precious and special to me. That He knows me as I truly am above and beyond anyone, yet He still loves me, helps me, guides me, looks upon me!
Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The servant’s name was Malchus.

The Fourth Shepherd