The Seven Sayings


Tenebrae2012
 The seven sayings of Jesus on the Cross are gathered from the four Gospels and form a meditation for the waiting......

Forgiveness –
 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do' 


Jesus; Through forgiveness we are saved from pride and resentment; through your forgiveness we are saved from ourselves.


Salvation
                ''Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise' 

Jesus; you turn away from the challenge ‘save yourself’    towards the plea for mercy -and from your own suffering heart you speak the word  ‘yes’.

Relationship – 
                  'Woman, behold your son: 
behold your mother '

Jesus; even in your suffering you sensed the distress of Mary; your life with her echoed your desire for the world to become one family; you will not leave us orphans.

Abandonment –
   ' My God, My Godwhy have you forsaken me'

Jesus; you share our fears; your loving Father, it seems, has turned away. Your cry echoing the prayers of so many.



Distress – 
                  'I thirst '

Jesus; you give yourself to us like water in the desert but we have withheld our love. You are stricken by your desire for us. 


Triumph – 
'It is finished'

Jesus; The path of faith is thick with thorns – it has been no easy journey and the end is a promise made in heaven – still unfulfilled on earth. But the truth of your life speaks out


Reunion –
        ' Father, into your hands I commit my spirit '

Jesus; near death you become the trusting child once more. Mindful of his love and pride you reach out to him now.


The prayer of us all - 
'Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me - a sinner'


wordinthehand2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The Fourth Shepherd

The servant’s name was Malchus.