The Lord's Prayer - our prayer

We all have an image of God; it amazes me how we ever manage to believe in an almighty, all-powerful ever-living God, when that image is usually one of an old man with a white beard.

But stranger yet is the image that Jesus give us in today's Gospel. Here we have a thirty-odd year old man, who knows he's the Second Person of the Trinity talking to God the Father, with love and trust, as a toddler would talk to his Daddy (as the word Abba really means) and inviting all of us to do the same.

No ritualistic gestures or long words. A simple prayer -


Dad, you are wonderful and I hope everything goes your way. Help me to care for others, even those I don't like. And look after me. Thanks

And as that's the Father God I want to believe in, here is my prayer


















Lord, I am nothing, if I am not Yours
Yours to love with a father’s pride,
Yours to love with a mother’s care.
And here I am, an adoring child
Reckless in the security of that love.
Confident that whenever I fall
I can lift my arms to you.
Whenever I fail,
Your smile will give me strength.
Whenever I am lost
You will take my hand
And lead me home.
For I am Yours.




wordinthehand2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The Fourth Shepherd

The servant’s name was Malchus.